At the beginning, we had set different objectives towards this project, we also set up internal monitoring to help us evaluate our progress and the strength of indicators; our overall objectives are:
- Enrolling 100 children in primary, secondary and tertiary education.
- Facilitating learning materials.
- Offering library services to our children to enhance the reading culture.
- Strengthening the tuition program through evening tuition.
- Offering computer training to the children to promote competence in the area of technology.
- Education guidance and counseling and career planning.
After we set out our objectives, we had to accompany them with a clear execution plan for us to see the results in time.
- 100 Promise Giving Children's Family are enrolled in 18 different schools, the schools are from primary, secondary and tertiary level, handicapped children are in special schools. The children in the primary and secondary schools are divided into private and public schools. In tertiary level we have children in technical schools, School for tourism, Media school, medical schools, Nairobi Aviation School etc. and university.
- We provided the children with school uniforms, shoes, bags and other necessary learning materials, and paid school fees for the children in the program. The library is also equipped with books of all needs, they mostly use them for homework, personal reading or further reference and research.
- We clustered the children into small groups for tuition programs after school to enhance effectiveness in learning. We also employed extra education officers to monitor the children during tuition.
- All school going children in all the Promise Giving Organization centers from first grade have been introduced to computer learning. They are basically taught on the basics of computer operations, typing and saving documents, all these are done under the supervision of the education tutor.
- Education guidance, counseling and career planning are done jointly by the education officers and our social workers.
Education guidance is a developmental process that facilitates the acquisition of attitudes, skills and knowledge to help students better understand themselves, explore viable education and career options, make informed decisions, and develop plans to achieve their career aspirations.
RESULT OF IMPLEMENTATION
We have since seen a steady improvement of our children's performance in comparison to the previous academic year, this has been enhanced by the constant supportive program.
- Initiating assignments by the education officer; this helps us to know on the weak points of an individual child academically.
- Cross checking all assignments and other exercises issued by the teachers at school.
- Supervising, assessing and evaluating each child’s performance.
- We have registered a great change towards handling of homework and performance because in all the centers we have implemented: close-monitoring, extension of tuitions time and strengthened supervision at all angles.
As a result, the school heads have been reporting good performance on our children both in exams and participation in class compared to other children from outside Promise Giving Children's Family. The educational officers have embarked on regular basis of school follow ups; during this period our children have really improved constantly in the following levels:
- Child performance in school – Our children have improved as most of them have above pass marks during the last exams. In this regard, some schools have appointed our children to be class monitors and representatives.
- Degree of discipline – We have realized that our children have registered a high level of discipline both in school and at home.
- Personal hygiene – This was really encouraged to our children and they have shown great changes towards hygiene.
- Number of children are accessing library and computer services frequently; extra education officers were employed with the result that more Promise Giving Organization children are trained on computers and have access to library services.
We are working hard to achieve our target of admitting 1000 children in our program. To make it successful you, can make difference through sponsoring a child, donating computers, educational materials, text books, exercise books, school uniforms, school shoes, school fees and or building of our own primary and secondary.